Re: watch your step! - Trotting downhill

TrotALongK wrote:

> << Not running fast down steep hills, ditto.  Although we trained for downhill
> and would canter down mild slopes and trot down moderately steep ones; I would
> get off for steep downhills.>>
>
> I've been wanting to ask this question for a while, just kept forgetting about
> it. John's post brought it back to my mind:
> How much downhill trotting is safe for my horse?
> I live in the Santa Monica Mountains near L.A., those of you who've ever done
> the Malibu Ride know that there isn't much flat ground around here. It's
> either up or down, and in order to get a good, long work-out we have to trot a
> considerable part downhill. I often get off and jog next to the horse (helps
> the horse AND me...) and both my Arabs have learned well to balance themself
> even on steeper trails, with or without rider.
> However, I've heard people say that "horses only have so many down hill
> miles".
> Is there any truth in this or is it more a matter of how carefully you choose
> where and when to trot?
> I can imagine that this kind of exercise might cause a lot of stress on
> tendons and joints. When do you know that you're over-doing it?
> On a typical conditioning ride (anywhere between 6 and 12 miles) I have about
> 1/3 to 1/4 of downhill trotting, some at an extended trot and some at just a
> jog (depending on the terrain and the degree). I usually let the horse pick
> what he's comfortable with. Should I be more conservative?
> How much down hill trotting do you do? And how fast?
>
> Kirsten
I have spent a good part of my years with some of the old time endurance
riders. Fitzgeralds, M Arnold, C Lewis, S. Killen anyway they always
told me only to trot or gallop down hill if it is absoultly necessary. I
have been riding for many years and have not gone down hill fast yet.
Most of the time I get off and walk.  Why should any of us be in that
big of a hurry? Going down hill is very hard on a horses legs and going
down fast is just asking for trouble like shin splints ect... J. Taylor