Learning about Your Horse

My husband and I learned a few new things today. We tried out a new
trail and found out that it was used as a freeway by hoards of mountain
bikers. No problem ( I use EVERYTHING as a learning experience), most
bikers were fairly considerate, some more so then others.

We also learned that our horses won't drink out of a water tank when it
is directly under an old, rusty, creeky, spinning windmill. Pass on that
watering hole!

Another thing caught us quite by surprise. My husbands gelding nailed my
mare (with both hindlegs) in the abdominum and right on the stifle
joint, making a half circle cut. He actually kicked out with both feet
about three times, turning his butt toward us, very purposefully trying
to get her. The only thing we could think is that he didn't want her
passing him. I did come up on his rear quickly as we were slowing to a
walk. I can't figure it out? - the two horses get alone pretty well.

We have had him about two months and have gone on quite a few rides
together with no inclination to kick before. We trade off going first
while on trail. Though mostly, my mare and I are in front 'cause she is
a faster walker (but he is a faster trotter). What can we do to stop
this behavior and what caused this kicking?? He was a stallion for 6
years (he is now 10); does that mean anything (except that he has bad
manners)?

At the time of the kicking incident we were a little more then half way
of our planned route, I turned around and hoofed it back to the trailer
with Kyla favoring her hind leg. Allan went on to finish the trail. He
said that he encountered more bikers and one time a biker flew past,
very fast, without slowing at all and Bugs kicked out at the biker.(Too
bad he missed) That was the only kicking at a biker and they went past
at least 40 mountain bikers.

To top it off, when Allan and Bugs came back to the trailer, Kyla
whinnied to Bugs. I couldn't believe it - after what he did to her!

Lauren