points

I find this discussion about "points" and how we are not supposed to chase
them because that's not really why we do this sport...etc. to be timely in
a rather ironic way considering that it comes almost exactly in
conjunction with the release of the yearbook.

If point chasing is not part of what this sport is about, then there isn't
much evidence of that in the yearbook.  "Point chasing" (to use a crass
descripton) and keeping track of it, it much of what the AERC is all
about.  Without the "point" endurance riding would be nothing more than
going out camping and for long trail rides with friends.  And there are
other organizations that do this (ETI here in So. Cal. comes to mind, but
there are also many "dude ranch" outfits, as well as local riding groups,
etc. that organize the same thing).

And AERC endurance ride is a competition...and the way we keep track of
the competition is with "points"  We get credit not for the miles that we
ride, but the miles of completed competition miles.  I probably ride about
5,000 miles per year (if you count all the miles on all the horses that I
ride), but my total lifetime (in 8 years) competition miles is a mere
~1,700.  Hardly the same thing.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with "point chasing" as
long as it is not done at the expense of the horse--but this applies to
all activitis: nothing should ever be done at the expense of a horse.  and
_I_ wouldn't do it at the expense of having fun; What would be the point?
(pun intended).

However, "point chasing" can be PART of the fun.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  I have never (see total lifetime mileage) above been a successful
"point chaser" in any real sense of the word (except the fact that I even
know my lifetime mileage is an indication that I participate in it to some
extent).  However, this has more to do with the fact that point chasing
takes resources beyond just having a good horse and having a good
time--resources that I don't have :).  But to the extent that I have those
resources, that's how I spend them.