Re: Gaited Horse Question

At 03:52 PM 5/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Truman,
>

>So how do you tell when a gaited horse is lame? Should the vets be
>looking at the even-ness of the stride or what? What is the equivalent
>of the trot out for a TW? You jog, the TW does what?

Most - but not all - walking horses trot in hand.  But it is not a "good
trot".  The trot has very little suspension.  Like any horse even-ness in
gait is what you look for.  They should not bob the head at a trot, but
there is usually a little side to side motion of the head which should not
be confussed with a bob.

The head nod is at the running walk and it should also be even.  It is
sometimes easier to tell if a walking horse is off at a walk than a trot.

In the SE I have not had any problems with the vets and the walking horse.
I have run into a few vets out west that just sort of shake their heads
since they don't know what they are looking at.  At the 96 ROC, the vet I
drew for vetting in took one look at Misty and called Jeanie Waldorn over
to vet us in.  "He said to her you have seen these horses before, I have no
idea what I am looking for."

At the 30 miles  check the vet said, "if that is a trotting horse you are
pulled, if it is a walking horse she looks fine".

There is a difference but most good vets seem to be able to do a pretty
good job with the gait.

Truman