Re: Respiration as recovery index???

Anita Burson wrote:

> Linda,
> In your reply to Kimberly you state that "a good working walk is vastly
> unappreciated . . ."  Is there a method of teaching the horse a good
> walk?

As a horse walks, your seat bones follow his back.  You can "step up the
ryhthym (sp?) with your seat bones.  Also, as the horse's front right leg
strides forward, squeeze with your right leg before he puts that foot down.
Same for left leg.  You are encouraging the horse to stride larger/longer
with every stride.  It will take time for them to learn.  A lazy walk is 3
mph.  A good working walk can eat up the ground.  (Rocket can easily move
out at 5 mph without even really trying if I don't let him be lazy.)

It can be helpful in training to have a horse with a faster walk along on a
ride.  Have it go slightly faster than your horse (but not so much that you
find yourself trotting to catch up).  It can be an encouragement for your
guy.

Remember to praise the heck out him when he does it right, even if it is on
the way home at first.

Linda Flemmer