Re:horse fell off mountain in CA?

a fellow endurance friend just contacted me, saying she'd heard
something on TV about a horse in CA falling off a mountain and being
airlifted out in some kind of harness. she would like to know how it
happened and if horse was OK -- and was it on an endurance ride?

anyone know anything about this

Dear Cyndi,
   The incident that you are refering to just happened.  I saw it on the news.
A man was riding his paint gelding along a trail in Griffith park.  The trail
was along a cliff and the horse spooked off the cliff.  He spooked from the
noise of some hikers.  The rider bailed immediately.  The hillside that he
fell on was too steep to get a good foothold.  Rescuers tried to lead the
horse up but he kept sliding back down so they decided to drug him and lift
him out by helicopter.  When the vet woke the horse up hestruggled to his feet
and was fine.  He was back to a normal stubborn horse and refused to get in
the trailer and made his owner walk him back to the stables.  Not a horse that
I would want for endurance.  The trail was a couple feet wide, a wide road
compared to the cliffhanger trails that we find on endurance rides.
Hope this cures your curiosity.

Brooke (Ca)