Re: Eating, Pooping, the Frog and Picking

On Fri, 08 May 1998 00:36:50 -0600, Jeff & Bambi Forbes
<forbes@vail.net> wrote:

>I have heard of people letting their horses graze along the trail during Endurance
>rides (and training too I'd imagine).  How many do this, and do you stop to take a
>few bites or just let them grab what they can on the fly.  Isn't this annoying or do
>you get used to it?!

He can eat whatever he can grab without slowing down ... and
occasionally gets to stop for a few bites if there's a nice lush spot.
It doesn't bother me at all.

>Do most endurance horses poop on the run, or are there stoppers?  Do the horses who
>were previously stoppers (Taaraka is now, and has surprised me by planting his feet
>and yanking my shoulder backwards when I wasn't watching!), get excited by the
>competition and change to moving poopers?

Kahlil will stop when he's alone, if I let him.  If he's with other
horses he just keeps on going.

>Do you guys pick?

Only my nose.

I'll only check/pick a hoof if I have some reason to suspect a
problem.  Otherwise, we'd spend all day getting off and picking up
feet.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net