Cinder Lakes-Long

Well, I am almost feeling human again, so I guess I can write a bit
about Cinder lakes...

Since Pro wasn't looking just quite right, that left me with Shahdow, my
hubby's psyhco horse to ride <oh yeah!>  Well, it was either ride him or
don't go, and of course that wasn't an option <G>

Arrived safely, though the poor tranny just about had it pulling the
grade into Flagstaff...bigger truck is next on the list.  vetted in A-ok
no problems.  We put a foam mattress in the back of the trailer to sleep
on, and it worked like a champ!  Who needs a nice comfy camper?! :)

Next morning I woke up sicker than the proverbial dog :((  Not that my
riding buddies would have let me skip the ride anyhow <G> so we tacked
up, and I lunged ol psycho a bit before mounting up...he wasn't as bad
as I thought he would be at the start, but I should have known better
than to put him in the vosal!  I have the blisters to prove it!  Lets
just say the first 25 miles were sheer hell!  He spooked, he pulled, he
bounced....man was he rough gaited...must be the English pleasure horse
breeding and all that high hock action....he literally beat me to death
for the first half....the 2nd 25 he actually smoothed out and was easier
to ride.

We also switched to a bit for the 2nd half, which helped immensly!  I
was glad to see that he took better care of himself than I expected,
eating and drinking quite well....at the last vet check,  he literally
ripped the hay out of my hubby's hands!

And yes, as Cheryl already said, I threw up at each and every stop :(  I
thought I'd get some kinda special award for that!  Anything out there
for electrolytes that is easier on the tummy than sports drinks?  Hubby
was worried during the loop after lunch which was 18 miles....he was
wondering if I fainted and fell off, I told him not to worry about it,
they already said they'd just tie me on the saddle and pony me in <G>

I don't know how long this horse could have actually gone without
getting tired, he is a machine!  And still managed to spook as we
galloped across the finish line!

He vetted with A's and one B on skin tent, and the vet's comments were
that he is definitely a 50-100 mile horse, and was one of the best she
had seen finish! <G>  Did I mention that this horse had been ridden,
oh... maybe 2x in the last 7 months? :)  What a conditioning program
eh?  I had gone to the ride with the thought that I would simply pull
half way if he was getting tired....hah!

We spent alot of time in the holds, almost an hour extra at lunch....Al
informed me that if we had left earlier, we would have top tenned!
Makes me wonder how he would have done for best condition.  I think I
could have taken home worst condition!   Made me feel even worse to see
Ron Barret jogging up the road after just riding the 50!  Had to stop in
the outhouse yet again on the way back to the trailer.....

Anyhow, Cinders is a great ride if you can make it, nice easy trails
for  first time riders too.  They used to have a 75 there, maybe they
will bring that back in future years.

tracy