Re:Buchu leaves

Pamela Corley wrote:

I have another question related to Nora's.  Where I board my horse they
monitor the color of my horse's urine.  If the urine appears cloudy they
feed Bucci (spelling?) Leaves.  Does anyone else feed Bucci Leaves or
have additional information on their use?

Buchu leaves (Agathosma betulina) are a herbal medicine remedy. It is used as a diuretic (makes 'em pee)
and urinary antiseptic for bladder inflammation. It is also a stimulant, which would make it an illegal drug as
far as AERC would be concerned. It's efficacy for urinary tract problems is rather questionable, but they gave
it to racehorses at Calder Racetrack in Miami, where I worked as a vet student one summer. They sure liked
their weird concoctions at that track!
Cheers,
Trisha

Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM & ACVCP
Associate Professor, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B4
306-966-7359/FAX 306-966-7376