saddle chafing horse

From: Shannon Field
Email: shannon.field@alliedsignal.com

I'm thinking about getting involved in endurance and/or competitive trail riding with my 5-year-old Arab.  I'm looking into different saddles and in the process of deciding what to purchase.  In the meantime, I'm riding in a Big Horn cordura.  The problem I have is that the stirrup fenders are rubbing the hair on my horse's sides off.  I'm not gripping, and the horse is at his optimum weight.  However, I do use a pretty thin pad (Professional's Choice) that I like very well.  I've been advised to put some more thickness under the saddle to raise the fenders off his sides, but I really enjoy the closer contact of this pad.  Also, he seems more comfortable in it.  Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do about it?