kicking

Narrow trails are no excuse for bad manners--and habitually bumping other horses, while occasionally unavoidable if a horse spooks, is bad trail ettiquette. While riding our stallion I couldn't beleive how many people seemed to ride out of their way to get  against us even though I actively tried to stay away. He only kicked once or twice. I'm now starting a young filly that got accidently bumped on one of out first rides, and she kicked. Then she started looking for horses to kick. I keep her red flagged & am working on it, & she's much better. If she gets rammed into again though it will set us back. If I'm on a horse that's hard to keep back, I always ask the rider if front how tolerant their horse is. Many steady campaigners make excellent "brakes", but this should be agreed upon by both parties!! Nancy Mitts