Re: [Fwd: Subject: kicking]

HI Kim,
This is a rael touchy subject with us since we don't tolerate kickers, yet we
ended up with a stallion who STARTDE kicking after he was rear-ended and
bitten in the butt by another stallion at a southern Cal ride. The man who was
riding the other horse was well aware of his stallion's horrile manners, in
the vet checks and on the trail and made no move to control him. He rode all
of the 50 miles weaving back and forth, cutting people off, allowing his horse
to kick anyone who tried to pass (and everyone WANTED to pass to get AWAY from
him), and ultimately, after tailgating me into a vet check, allowed his
stallion to BITE my stallion in the butt, and when my stallion gave him a boot
back, he accidentally grazed the leg of the tim, who after giving ME a dirty
look, saw why she had been licked and started shouting at the man. He stood
there like some kind of an idiot, and I don't know to this day how much
ignorance and how much plain lack of common consideration and sense were
involved in thei. So.. wehad to red falg our horse for about 2 years ebfore he
finally learned to relax again. And this was our stallion who had frozen to
immobility when a nasty and heavily in heat Appy mare slammed on the brakes in
FRONT of him so that his head was touching the riders back. Sal just stood
with his eyes HUGE until the woman got OFF of her mare and dragged her away.
So here was a situation of a perfectl well-behaved horse made defensive by the
poor behaviour of another horse and his rider.

We are completely in agreement that a kicker should be either controlled or
eliminated at any competition. By the same token, a rider who consistently
bumps, tailgates or otherwise CAUSES the behaviour should be disciplined as
well. Close quarters is no excuse for kicking, but I will not punish my horse
for defending him or herself against a horse who slams into my horse. Having
had one mare cut seriously after being slammed from behind (the other horse's
front hoof cut her ankle from behind) it is incumbent upon ALL riders to avoid
that kind of contact.
so so so
sandy