Re: Lippizan's

Hi Johnna,

While there are exceptions to any rule, for the most part even a
dressage-trained Lipp is going to have some trouble with heat
dissipation.  The average muscle fiber composition of the main driving
muscles have a fairly high percentage of fast twitch muscles (those
meant for short-term, high-power exercise, like sprints or pulling alot
of weight) as opposed to the slow twitch muscle, meant for
long-duration, relatively low energy exercise like endurance.  What is
all comes down to is that the heavier muscle is less efficient, fatigues
more quickly and creates more heat which the horse has more trouble
getting rid of, and thus has a higher heart rate, respiration and slower
recovery times than horses with a higher percentage of slow twitch
fibers, like Arabians and Thoroughbred breeds.

This doesn't mean your Lipp CAN'T do endurance, you just have to be
aware of the limitations and work around them and probably expect to be
a steady completer, not a top ten greyhound.  Try to think out ways to
get around the heat problem as much as possible, ie braiding a heavy
mane out of the way, lots and lots of water at stops, body clipping,
picking rides during cooler weather, and using your dressage training to
advantage---try to find rides with lots of switchbacks and weaving
around things, etc where a horse that really knows how to bend and move
off the leg is going to have an advantage over horses that don't.  Catch
my drift?

So...go for it, there have been LOTS more unlikely horses than a Lipp
out there doing well in endurance.  Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse