Re:Non-arab endurance horse

I used to race a big, stout, aggressive, hell-bent-for-leather Paint. I put
more miles on him for training than any Arab people I knew at the time, but
that was partly because I was on the flat and the only race I did was in the
mountians.
Feed was a problem.  I found that feeding  low protien,high fat and tons of
hay was the best way to keep him calm, happy and full of energy.  I do the
same thing with the half arab, half appy mare I have now.  I also have a large
pony who has been running hard in the mountians for three years now.  She will
compete for the first time this year.  She eats oats and hay, out on pasture
also, I cant feed her corn oil like my mare, gives her horrible diareeha, even
in tiny amounts.
She is 25 years old and two hands too short, but she doesnt know it and I'm
not going to tell her : )
  For the low protien, high fat and roughage diet I've had pretty good luck
with I start out with whole oats and a good grass hay.  I add cracked corn if
I need to add weight to a horse, or if weight starts to drop with increased
training.  I will substitute corn for part of the oats, or in addition to the
oats if weight is a real problem.  I try to keep grain down to about 10 lbs a
day for my 782lb mare.
I feed as much hay as they will eat. They are also out on pasture every day,
all day.  Of course part of the year there isnt really anything out there for
them to eat, but I spead the hay out, and they can pretend: )
I feed corn oil, flax seed, probiotics ( daily) selenium/vitamin E powder( our
area is deficient in Se and if you feed oil you need to feed extra E) Biotin,
salt, and a little molasses. ( my husband says the horses eat better than we
do.  Its probably true because I NEVER forget their vitamins!)
A freind of mine just started endurance this year on his Morgan/Quarter mare.
( Are you out there, George?)
His first ride was Animal House, the 30 and he came in 10th. And he did it
with a heavy western saddle and all the appropriate cowboy gear. Except the
breeches :)
He feeds pretty much the way I do, and trains in the mountians 2 or 3 times a
week.  His mare does fine.
So, by all means, do endurance on your non-arab horse.Have fun!
Julie Lindeman
Brush Prairie Wa