Re: Trouble finding reliable farrier : (

>Kat wrote:
>How often do most of you reshoe your horses....and is it really "regular"
>or does it vary (the way it does with me?)

I shoe every 4 to 5 weeks due to the fact that Blue grows more toe on one
foot then the other and his angle on that foot changes as it grows.  But
when I had 7 head here I never went over 6-7 weeks and 7 was pushing it.

As for finding a reliable farrier, GOOD LUCK!  When you find one treat him
right because they are few and far between.  I interviewed intensively the
last time, actually asked for more references too!  If they didn't like the
fact that I picked their brains they got passed by.  My farrier I chose
spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with me, takes a while to do the job
so he can get to know us and what we are doing with my horse, and cares
enough to lecture me if I need it, such as dry feet!  I like the fact that
he comes up with his own ideas about stuff and is willing to try out new
stuff but is also willing to listen to me too.  When he was here he brought
out those honeycomb pads to try.  I'll let you know how they work, they
aren't too pretty though.  Now I've only used this guy the last shoeing so
it will take a while to know whether he is really good, but I think he is a
keeper, he even shows up on time!  By the way he is my 3rd blacksmith in 4
months!!!!!!!!

                                 Cheryl Newbanks
                ~~ ^ ^       Just In Time Ranch
~~~\   _  ~~/ /\ /       Buckeye, AZ