Re: Sea Mud

>This may be a little off topic but I am sure we all have this type of
>problem in the summer with our horses:}  I have been looking for sea mud
>that the standardbred racehorse people use it to pack their horses feet in
>to keep them nice and supple.  In the az desert and sand my horse's feet
>dry out really bad in the summer and the ointments aren't enough.  I used
>to use this sea mud that they actually dig out of the ocean and saw 5 gal
>pails of it in a catalog once but can't find it now.  Has anyone seen
>anything like this anywhere and if so where? Thanks  -- Cheryl Newbanks

The heat and adobe we have around here isn't that wonderful either --
hooves get dry and hard as rocks in the summer.  Years ago my farrier
taught me the trick of making a little regular mud bog around the water
tubs and waterers -- not as elegant as Sea Mud, but it does the job of
getting moisture onto the hooves regularly and leaving a little mud pack in
place the rest of the time.

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky