Re: How much training is too much?

In a message dated 98-04-23 14:07:33 EDT, smcintos@rapidnet.net writes:

<< Now for my question, (don't laugh), last night i was talking to one of
 the ride managers for the ride i am going to, and she says i am pushing
 my horse too hard.  She has done lots of 100 and 50 mile rides
 successfully but i'm not sure who i should listen to.  She says she is
 only training twice a week to get ready for the 50 mile rides this
 summer.  Tiki has been doing what we are doing for two years now, and we
 haven't had any problems so far.   Would it be wrong for Tiki to be more
 fit than she needs to be for 25 milers?  Tiki is always strong on long
 rides away from home because the terrain isn't as tough as what we train
 on. >>

Stick with what you are doing and ignore those who cannot find the time to
deliver good conditioning. If you ever suspect "overtrainig" in your horse,
take blood samples and look for slightly elevated SGOT, CPK and LDH.

ti