Re: Trouble finding reliable farrier : (

Jacqueline,

I had the same stream of bad luck early on until I finally got fed up with it.
My first step was to poll all of my horse friends on who they thought was a
good farrier, then I asked what their experience was with the particular
farrier.  When I settled on a prospect and called him, before he ever came out
I told him all the trouble I had previously had and explained my training
schedule and how important it was to unadjustable schedule that my farrier be
reliable.  I also explained unabashedly that I wouldn't tolerate lack of
notice or continued tardiness. (thus instilling guilt up front!) Then, for the
first three or four sessions I paid him a 50% tip on top of his fee.  I have
NEVER had a problem since.  I still OCCASSIONNALLY throw in extra money if
it's particularly hot or particullarly cold or whatever.  Yes, it costs me a
lot of money, but in my opinion a good reliable farrier is worth almost
anything.  It has turned out that because of this policy I have recieved some
free corrective shoeing or trimming.  I figure it's a lot cheaper than having
to find another guy.

Randi/Spiritdog Ranch