Re: Training

In a message dated 98-04-23 08:28:08 EDT, Sandman@voeding.tno.nl writes:

<< My questions:
 - Is there a reason to be worried during the training
 - Is there a way to harden my horses legs on woody tracks
 - In what other manner I can harden or protect its legs during long(er)
 rides
 - Is this item discussed in any book?

 Waiting for answers,

 Hugo Sandman >>

Hugo,

This is certainly a concern. However, the principal problem to which the horse
has to be hardened is uneven terrain, not hard terrain. It would appear that
your trails may give you some of this kind of exercise--maybe not, but it
soulnds like it.

As far as concussive changes between your training surface and the competition
surfaces, the concern is less important for endurance horses. One way to
increase the concussive effect of soft surfaces is to make more speed during
workouts than you typically would in a competition. This is also good for te
rest of the body--if you bring it on gradually.

ti