Re: Proper Se levels

Hi, Truman--

Some labs report Se differently--you are looking for either a normal between
.20 and .25 or between 200 and 250, depending on what units they use.
(BTW--the bulk of my practice is equine reproduction, and I look for the same
Se levels there--we see a lot of problems with deficient horses in that area,
too.)

Just curious--why were you assuming that you had Se in your alfalfa, if you
have none in your soil, or do you bring in alfalfa from out of the area?

You have to really read the labels and do the math when buying selenium
supplements--some that seem like good deals really don't give you much.  The
one I prefer is calle EqU-SeE and is made by Vet-A-Mix.  It actually contains
both Se and Vit E.  Keep in mind that the daily requirement is 8-10 mg per
day, and that none of them are allowed to tell you to supplement that much.
If you are like us, though, with virtually none in  your soil, you have to
literally supplement the entire amount.

Heidi