Re: Pregnant mares

>To the best of my knowledge, AERC has no rules prohibiting pregnant mares.
>Have had several compete through about their 8th month (and one or two
further
>along) with absolutely no ill effects.  Have been on both sides of the aisle
>here, having both campaigned them personally and having been ride vet where
>others have competed.  Any rule prohibiting pregnant mares would be in
>violation of AERC's rule that all rides must be open to all equines over 60
>months (48 months for LD's).

Back when Misty was pregnant with her first, Rocket, I let her laze around
with some easy hacking the first 30 days or so.  I then asked a couple of
vets about competiting a pregnant mare.  The common sense response was
common.  One told me that it was okay to matain the level she was at
before.  Namely if I had been doing 50's don't try my first 100.  If I was
running mid pack then it was not the right time to try to top 10.

One other vet, who also rode a mare in endurance, stated to just listen to
your horse - she will tell you when she is uncomfortable and it is time to
back off.  The mare did tell me.

I did my last ride with Misty when she was 7 months along.  I hacked around
on her until she got fussey with the saddle - about 10 months.  I then line
drove her - jogging behind her so we both got some exercise untill the
night she had her foal.

Truman