Re: electrolyte supplementation

Debby, I agree with Heidi, I think you're thinking of
calcitonin---calcitriol is one of the terms for the active form of
vitamin D3, aka 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (see why the easier name
of calcitriol)?  It does have a hand in calcium metabolism, but not in
the way you're describing, that's calcitonon and, as Heidi explained,
it's effects on parathyroid hormone and hence effects of plasma calcium
during exercise.

PTH is what they call an "inducible hormone", meaning that it's levels
are dependent on the changing needs for it (as opposed to other hormones
which stay constant no matter what).  You could induce increases in PTH
before an event, but in doing so by witholding one feed or another,
whatever benefits you're getting by stimulating PTH levels are probably
going to be lost in the general upset you're causing by changing the
ration and putting microbial populations into an uproar.  Both are
pretty subtle effects, but there nonetheless.

Rather than trying to stimulate PTH before an event, you're alot better
off feeding a ration that is adequate, but not excessive, in calcium and
letting the homeostatic systems adjust themselves accordingly---you'll
have a MUCH better response during exercise than by witholding calcium
feeds before a ride.:-D

Susan Garlinghouse