Re: Ticks

If those ticks have 'hatched' then there will be ticks all over.  Ticks are
active in spring and fall and the fat ones are the ones that will have the
baby ticks.  It then takes a few months for those baby ticks to mature.  BE
CAREFUL when pulling the ticks off as the blood may be contaminated with
Rocky Mountain Fever or Lyme Disease.  There a several ways that people use
to get them to back off, but I juts slowly pull.  You should use some
protection on your hands and then destroy the tick, ie bleach, alcohol.
Some chickens like them.  One of my sons got Rocky MTN Fever when he had
tick attach that was there some time.  It was engorged(fat) when I pulled
it off.  2 wks later he had high fever 104 but it was flu season and I
treated him for flu.  One am he couldn't lift a glass to drink so we took
him to DR.  Was admitted for mycoplasma pneumonia.  I looked that up as his
lungs were clear and I had suspected strep infection.  Mycoplasma pneumonia
is paart of the diagnonsis with RMF.  He was in hospital for 3 days.  Had
the classic rash on palms.  If I had not remembered the tick, he would have
been treated with wrong antiobiotic.  A 3 month old baby died that same
month for that reason.  NOT ENOUGH HISTORY.  POINT here is that I grew up
in ID when people died from RMF and we had tick shots every spring and
fall.  Now with our mobility, we need to assume the ticks are BAD until
proven otherwise.  I sent ticks from my horses to the state lab and they
were + ro RMF, so it is not just the dog tick that can carry it.  So be
careful.  Knowledge can enlighten you.  The tick has to be attached for at
least 2 to 3 hrs to exchange the disease.  Enjoy the outdoors, but use
caution.  Check every 2 hrs for ticks when out in areas where there are
bushes.  Not to scare anyone, just to educate.  I didn't even consider
there would be RMF here in TX.  There is NO epidemic.  Just ocasional
cases.
Happy Trails,
Mary Ann, Tx