sugars in electrolyte solutions

Roger questioned the concentration of sugars in the Perf/Win product.
 While I can't comment on the relative concentrations of
electrolytes in this product, I don't think that the sugars it
contains can be a problem.  At most a 1 oz portion can contain 1 oz
of sugar, and this would work out to be 28 grams of carbohydrate, or
about 112 Kilocalories.  This is a minimal amount of carb considering
the tremendous expenditure going on, and, as Roger said, sugars can
markedly speed sodium and water absorption from the gut and thus
better maintain fluid balance [Gisolfi et al].  Additionally,  they
provide ready energy.

 Beth Glace, MS
Research Associate
Sports Nutritionist
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
NY, NY