Going Barefoot in Back

My horse is shod only in front, and we ride on fairly rocky fire trails.
Never had a problem so far.

I've been told that we would not be allowed to participate in an endurance
ride without shoes or Easyboots in back (except for perhaps some of the
really sandy rides in Florida, which is too far away for me anyway).  Is
this rule about rear shoes pretty much universal?  Is it also true for LD
rides?  Would it be specified in the rider's packet from ride management?

My problem is that the barn where I board does not allow metal rear shoes
(too many problems in the past with damage to other horses, stalls, etc.),
so I'm trying to get info about alternatives.

Cindy Eyler
Baltimore MD

P.S.  Don't tell me to move to another barn.  The one I'm at is too perfect
in every other way.