EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS

As an Amateur Radio Operator,  I certainly would feel a lot safer on
a ride knowing there were people with emergency communications
capability.  While cellular phone MIGHT work,  I would feel more confident
to have a 2 meter transceiver (available from Radio Shack for about $200).

It needs an FCC license......and a relatively easy no-code exam available
from
Volunteer Examiners all over the country.

My son was riding with a 55 year old friend in Colorado.  The man fell,
broke
his collarbone,  and fractured a rib (which punctured a lung).  It took six
hours to get the man to a hospital.  The hospital had an emergency
helicopter and could have been there in 15 minutes!!

My son got his license and now carries a "handheld" 2-meter transceiver
whenever he rides.

I'll be happy to furnish more info to anyone interested.

John (VT)