Re: water on the trail

Angela C. McGhee wrote:
Kaboot almost never drinks from streams.  I think it's because they're so

> cold.  He will absolutely drain a mudhole though.  I'm amazed how many
> riders push their horses past the mudhole and only stop at streams.

My old mare, Rosie, would only drink from standing water for the longest
time.  Her sheltered show career as a youngster had her convinced that water
only came in plastic buckets or water tanks.

The first time that she ever got <truely> desparate enough for a drink from a
stream, she pointed her nose upstream & got a snoot full of cold,
fast-running water!  It ATTACKED her.  Snooooorrrrttt!  It took another 6
months before she'd try again.  We drained every mud puddle and wet hoofprint
we'd find, though!  (Mike used to tease that we were draining the puddles to
put the competition behind us at a disadvantage :-)  )

Linda Flemmer