Re: RADIOS AND PROMPTING

Robert Morris wrote:

> If you have the technology to gather such information in real time I would
> expect you to download it into a computer after the ride for analysis. What
> would be the reason to have such data transmitted by radio? This question
> puzzles me since you state "future analysis".

The technology you propose would certainly reduce the need for radios
but unfortunately only heart monitor data can reasonably be stored.  The
equipment for other information is cumbersome and cost-prohibitive.

In terms of your question about future analysis, we have all witnessed
equine energy levels ebb and flow throughout rides.  We used to think
that maintaining a constant percent of maximum effort over the entire
ride was a good idea.  More recently we have varyed energy levels
(degree of effort) not just because of terrain, but also because of
minor variations in metabolic condition.  After rides we sit down and
use recorded data to try to identify relationships (ie speed vs
temperature, feeding at vet checks vs gut motility, etc.)  Our ultimate
goal is to develop better ways to manage the health of our horses.

Ramey