Night Riding Protection

The only way my horse and I will ever be able to get in enough conditioning
time is if we spend at least part of our time working at dusk (oh, the
mosquitoes will have a feast on my body!!) or after dark.

My questions may sound stupid, but they're genuine:

Is it feasible to ride with a lamp attached to my helmet, and, if so, what
kinds have you used successfully?

Have you used those reflective, velcro straps on your horse's legs?  If so,
have they caused any problems?

Cindy Eyler & Jack
Baltimore MD

P.S.  I'm in the process of arranging for an eqine chiropractor and an
equine massage therapist to check Jack's back.  Thanks for all the
suggestions/comments I received.  We're taking things slow and easy.  My
questions are based on the hope (please! please!) that we'll get past his
problems with steep downhills.