Dangerous horses - radios -the spirit of Endurance

Many states, including New Mexico, have an equine non-liability law.
That is, owners and managers of equine commercial operations including
endurance rides, are not held liable for accidents, etc. involving humans
and equines.  The states that have this law take the position that any
activity that involves equines is an "at risk" activity and those that
participate do so at their own volition and risk.  As an example, if you
attend one of my rides that base out of the Spur-C Ranch you will see New
Mexico Equine Non Liability Signs posted in several locations.  If you
hold a ride in one of the many states with this law, you may be able to
get a break on your insurance.

There are many legitimate reasons to deny entry to a ride and a dangerous
horse  definitely qualifies as a reason.  I know that the PNER group has
expressed a problem  with a "dangerous horse" situation and as best I can
tell, the NW Ride Managers have sent a form letter signed by various Ride
Managers denying entry to the party in question if that party plans to
enter on the "dangerous" horse.  Way down here in the SW Region I was
sent a copy of their letter.  I assume I received this letter as the
party in question has entered many of my rides, however, I have not had
any major problems with this horse or rider...certainly not to the point
of denying entry.  Ride Managers have the right, and the obligation, to
protect their rides from dangerous situations, however. they must be
careful not to abuse the right to deny entry.

As to electronic communications systems during competitions, I have to
disagree with Ramey on this point.  A couple of years ago there was a
letter sent to the AERC Protest & Grievance Committee in reference to a
rider using a radio system between her and her crew, at the ROC.  I
believe it was filed as a grievance and the P&G Committee took the
position that radio contact between rider and crew constituted an  unfair
and illegal advantage as it was a form of "prompting".  In this case it
was alleged the crew was informing the rider of conditions, position,
placing, etc. of horses in front of the rider and giving instructions on
how to pace to catch the horses in front.
There have been many positive changes in the way we compete in endurance,
but I think electronic communications between riders and crews violates
the spirit of endurance and takes away from the many  intangibles of
competition.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]