Re: Conditioning young horse?

In a message dated 98-04-11 06:46:33 EDT, dleon@surfsouth.com writes:

<< I also need info on mares. If they
 become pregnant how far along can they be before they should not be entered
 into  a race? >>

Pregnant mares can and do compete quite far into their pregnancies.  I have
personally campaigned mares well into their eighth month with no difficulties.
My rule of thumb is that I do not greatly alter the lifestyle of a mare during
her pregnancy.  If she has been sedentary, this is not the best time to all of
a sudden start her under saddle and immediately begin hard work.  On the other
hand, if she is accustomed to hard work, be it endurance or whatever, she may
be just as stressed by suddenly stopping her activities.  If she is used to
being ridden moderately, introduction of a few conservative endurance
completions don't represent a big change to her.  The mare I rode the most
during her pregnancy was already Top Tenning rides the fall before she was
bred.  She did 18 rides, earned 17 Top Tens, and was ridden over 1100 miles
during that particular pregnancy.  Her last rides were back-to-back 50's on
Thanksgiving weekend--she was 3rd both days.  She delivered a healthy filly
the following March.  She was 19 years old the year she was campaigned.  She
had also been campaigned by a junior two years earlier during a pregnancy.

Keep in mind that about one third of all equine pregnancies are resorbed or
aborted prior to reaching term.  There are MANY causes for this.  I have yet
to hear of a documented case where performing accustomed exercise has
triggered a resorption or a miscarriage.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)