Leaving camp

I think whenever possible, ride managers do the best they can to provide a
"safety
net" for horses, utilizing the resources available.  In addition to placing
the clinic's
name and # in the rider's packet, it is also printed in the ride
information that accompanies the entry form.  We also repeat it at the
rider's meeting on Fri. evening.
Sound like overkill?  We don't think so.  We have done our part as managers
to protect the horses - and as in all things in this sport,  the
responsibility for the horse rests with the rider.  The veterinarians look
to us riders to "know our horses" and call things to their attention -
before, during and after the ride.  Another issue not mentioned so far here
is trailering effects.  There have been several good articles written about
how much WORK trailering is for our horses and the demand it places on them
to balance
constantly and shift their weight.  While it is not possible for many
riders to remain away from home another night, it is possible to continue
to educate ourselves as to
what are the best methods of trailering to and from rides, especially going
home with
horses whose already tired legs have to keep working.  Perhaps some
veterinarians
out there will address this?    Barbara Sanches, Pacific South