Shock Tamer info

Hi--At last, I can do something useful!

Shock Tamers are made by Equine Technologies, Inc., 416 Boston Post Road,
Sudbury, MA 01776; tel 508.443.8078; fax 508.443.6232. As far as I know, they
do not have email or a web site, but I may be wrong. They make full pads in
two models, the pop-out center pad, and a rim pad. They've been around for
almost ten years now. Don't try to reach them this weekend; I am sure that
they are at the Equine Affaire in Ohio! Al and Mary spend a lot of time on the
road, and are familiar faces at lots of Arabian events.

Shock Tamers are distributed on the east coast by Victory Racing Plates in
Baltimore, Maryland and on the west coast by Delta Horseshoe Company in
Rocklin, California. The best place to get them would be through your farrier,
since he or she will have to nail them on anyway and will know what size to
order for your horse. They cost a lot more than regular leather or plastic
pads.

Shock Tamers have had the high-tech market to themselves for a while, but
there is a new company from Germany called Luwex (luwexusa@netvision.net.il)
that is coming on strong. I wonder if any Ridecamp folks have tried them?
Shock Tamers have been tested in the research lab and it would be really
interesting to compare Luwex, Shock Tamers,and Honeycomb, which is yet another
relatively new hi-tech pad, made by Thoro'Bred Racing Plate Co.
(thorobredhorseshoes@msn.com) in Anaheim, California.

Also, for shock absorption purposes, many people swear by the plastic Mustad
shoes.

Contact me anytime if I can provide information from the hoofcare/lameness
worlds!

Fran Jurga, publisher
Hoofcare & Lameness