Re: you can lead a horse to water...

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Elizabeth M Szeliga wrote:

> Any hints out there as to how to get a horse to drink well.  I've read
> the comments about always offering water whenever you are passing it.  I
> do that, but it is very frustrating that my horse won't even consider
> drinking until he is darn good and ready.  I have him stand quietly by
> other drinking horse, but he doesn't try to mimic them.

Here's what I do (do this at home, not at a ride).  I take them out and
ride about 5 miles...offer them water, if they drink, great; if they
don't, immediately go on...for another 15 miles.  Offer them water, if
they drink, great; if they don't, immediately go on...for at least
another hour (depends on pace how far this is)....

Here is the trick, you only offer it to them once, you don't stand around
trying to encourage them to drink, let them play in it, futz around
pretending like they might be going to drink.  Either they drink, or they
don't get any....and they don't get any for a LOOOONG time.

It doesn't take very long before they learn to drink immediately when it
is offered, not just because they are thirsty, or because they have been
coaxed into it, etc.

The times and distances can be changed and adjusted depending on weather
and terrain...and, of course, you should be aware of the hydration of your
horse and not push it to the point of shut down.

kat
Orange County, Calif.