hot feet

Hi folks
I would appreciate your experiences with a situation like mine.
I started a horse last fall, he is 5 and an AraApp.  He goes great on
soft surface and very short on hard surface.  I am trying to build him
up slowly on hard surface but keep having to start from square one again
every time he is shod.  My farrier left him longer than usual this time
and added ShockTamer rim pads.  Two days after shoeing I took him out on
the hard surface and he seemed to be doing much better(the whole ride
was not all hard surface).  Took him out in another two days and he went
real short again, finished our ride on the grass.  Later that evening
his feet were hot.  I hammered on all the nails and the shoe itself with
no response.  His feet got hot a couple times after shoeing last year
too but what was odd is that it was maybe three or four days after he
was shod.  I am not doing alot of wild and crazy riding, I am starting
this one out very slowly as he is emotionally immature.
Appreciate any ideas.  Thanks
Donna