Re: Determining conditioning distances

Truman said:
>I learned a trick several years ago from a veterian rider.  I condition by
>time at a given heart rate range rather than by milage.  For example an
>hour of between 130 and 150. As the horse becomes better conditioned then
>he will go farther at the same heart rate.

Hmmmm...looks like I'll have to invest in a heart rate monitor. <g>

Thanks to everyone who responded to this question.  From the comments made,
the best method for me, since I ride in areas that involve a lot of winding
trails thru the woods, would be to find someone who has ridden some of them
and knows what the mileage is -- then get used to what the horse does there
and adapt it to where ever I am.  There aren't really any roads that I ride
on where cars are that I could easily check -- just one mile on asphalt to
the trails and logging roads behind our place.  Not a good area for
determining speeds since there's a lot of traffic, kids, bikes, etc.

Sue
sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.