From: owens <owensall@sierranet.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Rules/LD
Date: Friday, April 03, 1998 2:08 PM

Hi everyone;
I am really tired of the debate of LD's vs. 50+ milers, and CT vs. LD
rides, no one will ever win this debate.
The problem stems from people trying to control what others do.  The
common thread of all this discussion is that we each think we are right
and someone else is wrong;  we want to control what others are doing, to
force them to do it right.
Before we continue in this vein, let's look at where it leads.  Our
present government believes that the only way to save people from
themselves is to draft new laws.  It seems that now everytime someone
does something stupid and kills themselves, a new law is proposed to
save people from themselves!  For example, two people killed themselves
this season snow skiing, both were known politically.  I heard days
later that there were a couple of bills drafted to make helmets
mandatory for snow skiing!  The way the press reported these incidents,
skiing is a killer hobby, and any skier not wearing a helmet is in
iminent danger of being struck by a tree!  I, for one, resent these
intrusions into my personal life.   I resent my freedoms being taken
away because someone else abuses theirs.  The day I have to wear a
helmet to ski will be the day I QUIT skiing(it isn't as much fun as
endurance riding anyway, and way too cold...tho it does use many of the
same muscle groups).  I wear a helmet when I ride, and I use a cowboy
hat when I ski!
So, to sum this up, let's just shun the people who are abusing the sport
and who refuse our help, and no more rules.   Angie's letter has a good
point...all of the Amish can't be wrong!  Believe me, this sport was way
more fun before the rules got carried away!
Katee