Derby Ditch!

I didn't stay for the awards, so don't know who finished where or even how
many finished...but can say with great enthusiasm, that I was at home in a
hot shower before the banquet even started! <vbg>

I believe only about 80 riders started.  Derby Ditch is a one day 50 mile
endurance ride, in Fernley, Nevada.  I think a lot of riders cancelled due
to the weather forecast.  (it normally gets over 100 riders)  We did get
rained on Friday night, and it was a little chilly.  However, the weather
during the day of the ride was absolutely beautiful!!!  We really lucked
out.  In addition, because of all the rain the footing on the trail was
probably the best it's ever been.  There were some muddy sections, but
nothing seriously dangerous.

Took Rocky, the grey beastie to this ride.  His first ride this season.
You'd think it was his first time out on the trail in his life <sigh>.
This made 400 miles for him.  Yet, we still zigged and zagged our way thru
this one. (how many will it take???)  He doesn't like 'man-made' trail
decor, and of course, this trail is literally 'littered' with such.  Tires,
junk, pipes, etc. (even a porta-potty- cute whoever tied the trail marker
to it!) <g>.  I need a sign for Rocky that says "caution, horse makes
sudden lane changes".  I definitely cannot zone-out with this horse.

Yet when we rode alongside the shoulder on highway 50 (had to, the mud made
it impossible to use the trail), he didn't so much as flinch when semis and
other vehicles went blazing past us at 65 MPH, and within 4 feet of my
stirrup.  I think I was the one with the highest heart rate at that
section! ;=0

All the volunteers were really nice, and knew exactly what was going on.
There were four vets so we never had to wait for more than one or two
horses in line.  To say there was plenty of drinking water for the horses
would be an understatement!

We started the ride way back in the pack.  I didn't want to fry Rocky's
brain, since the start is a flat road, and most take off quite fast.  Plus,
to get there you have to walk about 20 minutes down a paved street (with
traffic--why was there so much traffic before 7 a.m. on Saturday morning in
Fernely????)...so we made it to the start and began at a nice slow trot.
We got in just right because we didn't have anybody zooming by past us so I
was able to keep Rocky in his nice easy trot without a battle, and without
my arms growing a few extra inches <g>.  I was really pleased with him
there.  Then he did one of his sudden lane changes, right, then left, then
right again...well, I almost came off.  Looked down and saw the mud below
and thought "heck no, he ain't gettin' me off this easy!", so I managed
(barely) to stay on.  Had an audience, they thought it was great!  I guess
we came kinda close to going into the ditch (the one with water in it).  It
was still so cold that morning that the horses looked like dragons going
down the trail with the condensation from their breaths.

Made it to Hazen, the first vet check.  P&R's right off at 60 (criteria),
vetted and then decided to switch Rocky over to a vosal.  He was doing so
well with not tossing his head I thought I'd give it a try.  It worked
great on him.  He immediately began eating at this check...I think this is
the first time he has eaten so well this early in the ride.  We headed onto
the Silver Springs vet check (approx. 35 miles).  There were a few deeper
muddy sections in this part, but not too bad.  I thought 'oh great, after
we have our hour break, Rocky will mellow out'.  <wrong>  The great part
about the lunch break is that they got our P&R's and vetted us so fast that
we really did have a whole hour! It seems like a loooooong hour, since we
had a crew (I rode with my friend Pat and her mare Lady) and didn't have to
run around doing everything ourselves.  It was GREAT!!!

Pat asked me at Silver Springs "I notice you're not giving him any carbos
this ride".  Then, I looked at her and we both just burst out laughing.
Yeah, right!!!

After leaving the lunch vet check we got snowed on a little bit.  It wasn't
too cold though so we didn't mind.  We had a really great ride on the last
part.  The horse felt strong, and so I let him go a little. I probably
should have let him go a little more earlier on, judging by how strong he
was after we finished.  At the finish line, I pulled his tack and threw a
blanket on him for the walk to camp.  I still have no idea where we placed,
didn't even bother to ask.  It is a long walk back to camp from the finish
line - a couple of miles (??)...so after we got past the bridge on the
highway, I hopped on him bareback and rode him most of the rest of the way
with just his rope halter.  I oughtta have my head examined for doing that.
 I guess maybe at a walk, things aren't nearly as frightening to Rocky.

I did use something new on this ride - a cloud nine saddle pad.  I've been
conditioning with it for some time, but this was the first endurance ride
in it.  It seems to work just great for Rocky, and what surprised me is
that at the finish his back (and the pad) were both clean....didn't look
like he had been ridden.  Normally there are sweat/dirt marks.  (not that
I'm complaining) <g>.  The only problem I have with the pad is that it
tends to slip more when I go to mount because I don't ride with a real
tight cinch.  My real problem is that I'm vertically challenged, and the
horse is not ;^).  Even my friend shook her head at me..."you can swing up
on him no problem bareback, but have trouble with a saddle".  Yep!

Surprisingly enough...I'm not sore today.  I guess I survived this one!  I
even got his easy boots off (under 2 min. per boot, I'm getting good!)
without cringing, and I had used plenty of foam to keep them on because of
all the mud :-).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville, NV
& Rocky, 400 miles, and who won't get quite as much grain at the next ride
<vbg>
& Weaver...see you at the Pit Stop 50 in 2 weeks :-)))