Electrolyte Cookie Recipes

Sure, I'll be happy to share some cookie recipes!
The one that Ellen posted was from a RideCamp message from last year, if
I remember correctly. I have some other recipes that I got from the CTR
list and possibly RideCamp (many of us are on both lists).

More Cookies
2 cups Omolene 200
2 cups Quaker oats
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup dark molasses
1 tsp cornstarch (to hold things together)
1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
6 scoops Perform'n'win electrolytes  (at this concentration, one big
cookie = 1/2 dose electrolytes. Double if desired.)
Pack the "dough" in tight, hamburger-patty size balls. Flatten slightly
and bake on cookie sheet for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees F.

Lyte cookies, success
1 cup Omolene 200
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup barley
3 cups bran
2/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup pure maple syrup (buy it by the gallon cheap at Costco)
1 2/3 cup very hot water
24 1-oz scoops of Perform'n'Win electrolytes
Mix all dry ingredients until well blended, stir in molasses/syrup
mixture and mix well. Add hot water and beat very well. I use an
electric mixer for all of this. Mixture should stick together but be a
little sticky. I divide the mixture to make 24 large cookies on a
non-stick cookie sheet, ungreased. Suggestion: make 48 smaller cookies.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Don't forget to preheat the oven.
These are done when firm to the touch. Remove from oven and immediately
remove from the cookie sheet. Depending on the altitude, you may need to
adjust the oven temp and time.

Lyte Cookies Recipe 2
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cups Nutrena "Perform" grain mixture
3 cups bran
1 cup molasses
1 cup water
24 1-oz scoops Life Science's "Endura-Lyte" electrolytes
Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin
tins (standard size) with non-stick cooking spray. Pack tins tightly, so
that the entire batch fits into 24 "muffins"
Bake for 25 minutes (more or less depending on altitude)

Dr. Nancy Loving wrote an article for the January/Feb issue of NATRC's
newsletter Hoof Print (one in her ongoing series of articles for this
newsletter) about electrolytes that is an excellent guide to
understanding how and when to use them. She also included a cookie
recipe at the end of her article, which was originally published in the
Old Dominion Aug. 1997 newsletter. It goes as follows:

1 cup Omolene or any sweet feed
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup barley
3 cups bran (rice?)
2/3 cup molasses or applesause
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/2 cup very hot water
24 1-oz scoops of Enduralytes(R)
Mix all dry ingredients. Add molasses and syrup and mix. Add hot water
and mix.
Batter should be sticky and somewhat stiff. You can make 24 large
cookies or 48 smaller ones by forming the dough into flattened balls and
placing them on a non-stick cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350 degree
oven for about 30 minutes. They are done when firm to the touch.
Assuming you mix the ingredients extremely well, each large cookie
should have 1 oz of electrolytes in it, while a small cookie has 1/2 oz.

As you can see, these recipes are all very similar and there are enough
variations that you can try them and see what your horse likes best.
I've tried a couple different ones and found that my horses will gobble
up ANYTHING that contains sweet feed and/or molasses.

I realize that buying tubes of electrolyte paste or mixing a syringe up
is a bit easier and much quicker than spending time in the kitchen
preparing goodies for your horse. I know I'll keep a tube of
electrolytes handy for the times that my horse really needs it, but I'll
also keep on making those cookies...

Hint: keep the cookies in a tupperware or other similar container. Ants
love these, too!!!

Ruth