Re: Microchips

Drin & Jim Becker wrote:

> If your horse is stolen from you ,chances are it will be headed to a
> livestock auction ring to be disposed of .Out here in Mt. I don't believe
> that I know of one sale ring that is using a scanner to be able to tell if
> your horse has a microchip .

I'm not positive, but I believe that one of the humane foundations is
working on a campaign to supply every slaughter house that handles
horses and eventually every animal shelter with a scanner, with the
intent of being able to check for and identify (in this case) stolen
horses carrying a microchip.  A good argument for keeping recent photos
and description of your horse available and being able to fax them to
slaughterhouses with a big notice of REWARD FOR STOLEN HORSE in case
your horse ever is stolen.

Susan Garlinghouse