plaster casts

I thought I share an interesting experience with everyone.

Last weekend my mom came over and we made a plaster cast of my horse's back (to have a new saddle fitted for him).  The idea of the cast isn't a new one to me, my mom has made several for saddle fittings in the past. The results of the one off MY horse is what was an eye opener!  When we removed the cast and looked at it I was totally amazed.  Tausey's spine curves to one side at the withers and he has an inward dip behind one shoulder.  It's SO obvious when looking at the cast, but not so obvious by just standing next to the horse and looking at him.  So, I stood up on the tail gate of a truck while my mom held him, making sure that I was directly behind him and his neck and head were straight.....there it is.....that curve and dip.  I've never stood up above and looked at my horse this way.  It isn't visable while riding because the back is covered by the pad and saddle.

Last fall the Chiropractor did some work on Tausey (he was caulking his head to one side and wasn't very happy about one particular lead.....no lameness or soreness anywhere though, just a few tell tale signs that something was amiss.) The Chiro will be coming out again next week to work on his shoulder again!

If we hadn't made the cast.....I'd of never known!  Just thought I'd share this. Who knows, someone who's having saddle fit problems, sore back problems, etc....might find this an interesting thing to do with their horse.  The cast is fairly simple to do and the materials cost me about $40.  If you find something unusual check with your vet, a chiropractor, or another equally qualified professional.

Robyn Burgess (I feel like I've been slapped on the back of the head and woke up)
and Tauseyn of Pico ("So I have curves and dips, can I go now?")
Atascadero, CA