re: advice at vet checks

 Hi Gayle,

 Below is my experience/answers to your questions.
 Good luck with your presentation - sounds great.

 > 1) What good advice have you been given that helped you at the
 vetchecks when presenting to the veterinary judging staff?

  - Just try to do everything with your horse before hand that will be
 done at the vet check. Take his pulse, listen to his gut, press his
 gums, pinch his neck, handle his feet etc. (usually his legs and feet
 will be handled more at pre-ride vet check - but I have seen plenty
 of vets do it all checks - and just as many not.)

  - Aside from the hands on/metabolic factors they are checking for,
 vets really want to be able to see your horse move out well. Teach
 him to trot out well in hand, without any hazing, and everyone will
 be happy. Having handled both types of horses - I can tell you how
 much more pleasurable it is to trot out an eager horse who know
 what you expect, compared to the pathetic sight you and your
 horse present with you trying to drag him along, and him (her,
 in my case) pinning his ears and resentfully barely breaking
 into a trot. The vets will ask you to do it again, because they
 couldn't tell anything, and it just becomes increasingly more
 horrible and pathetic looking. Believe me.

 - When showing for best condition, you will most likely be asked
 to trot your horse in circles, so make sure he does that well,
 or lunges very beautifully and obediently in both directions.

 > 2) What helpful advice would you pass along to a beginner for
 handling a horse at the vetchecks?

 - Same as above - recreate as many of the conditions as you can
 at home and on your training rides. Get your horse to stand
 quietly around other horses, carry blankets, buckets, sponges
 around with him, use them on him in lots of different places
 etc.

 - I saw a beautiful sight at a ride last fall. One gal had her
 horse (mustang I believe) tied to her trailer, with each leg in
 a bucket full of ice water, and he was just munching happily
 away at his lunch. That will be what I train my next one to do!

 > 3) What do you know now that you "wished you knew then"?

  - Encourage them to eat as much as they can/want as often as
 possible! I've learned my mare is apparently a pretty finicky
 eater - which I never noticed or appreciated before endurance
 riding - and she has paid the price. I'm always amazed and
 impressed with how many endurance horse eagerly slurp up
 everything, and munch on hay during all holds. I now believe
 this is a very key factor in a successful endurance horse. My
 mare's best 100 (4th place) she ate throughout the previous
 night, ate at every check, and was interested in eating
 everything I offered her throughout the ride. It was great. I
 don't know what came over her, but that is not the norm for her.

 > 4) What do you do at home to train the horse to accept the
 procedures of the vetcheck?

 -  everything. Same as above.

 > 5) Has there been any advice given to you by the ride vets
 that has been helpful?

 - Let them eat! Especially on a 100 - if there's no required
 hold, go ahead and take the time to let them eat some more!

 - I once asked a vet I was working for, "What's the best thing
 I can do for my horse after a 50 or 100 mile ride" and he said
 "Electrolytes, electrolytes, electrolytes." But that is right
 up your alley...

 Hope this is useful.

 Karen Callan