Re: Starting horses on 50s

Sue,

Now I know why you opted to start with a LD ride.  I still don't know why it
is supposedly the "correct" place for everyone to start.  That was really my
question.  I think everyone should ride where they want to.  I know people who
started with 100's.  One of them was 55 and rode the Tevis as his first ride.

 I am way over 50, [well, 56] and way overweight, over 200, and have smashed
my knee badly.  I broke it 11/28 and am still in a wheel chair.  I may be able
to start putting full weight on it at the end of April.  My doctor promised I
could start riding in the Summer if I promised not to think of doing any more
ride and ties for a long time.  If you get the endurance news, you no doubt
would have read my article about my ride and tie experience.  I did it again
the next year, just to prove that I could.  Even there, I wouldn't do the 11
mile beginner ride but did the whole 25.  I thought I would die but it was one
of the most fun things I ever did.  Ride and Tie is a little like endurance
used to be before we got so full of ourselves and decided to be an
International Discipline.  But that is another subject.  I have a bunch of
bone grafts, a plate and ten screws in my leg and will start riding as soon as
they let me.  And if I can tolerate riding at all, I will ride a 50 miler
before the fall is over.  However, that is just my choice.

That person that got so carried away flaming Becky Glaser is a perfect example
of what we complain about.  He comments are so far out of line I can't begin
to respond to them.  Of course I probably will because I can't keep my mouth
shut.  No one to my knowledge ever said that longer distances should get to
use the water first and get to go first at all vet checks.  That is a complete
overstatement.  And just because we ice our horses legs at the lunch stop, how
can that be "pretentious".  I look at it as taking care of my horse.  The
horse that only has an hour needs to be gotten through quickly so that his
legs can be iced.  The horse that is finishing can wait longer.  He is not
going on.  The only thing is that I would like to be able to vet my horse
thorough a vet check first when someone else is waiting for a completion
check.  I certainly would not expect to go first at every vet check.  That is
ridiculous and no one has asked for that.

One thing I would like to know, is how many of these people with such strong
opinions belong to AERC and/or have ever ridden a ride, 25, 50 or whatever.

As far as the letter that got this whole thing started goes, I can't remember
who is was but she did not get a completion for her 25 miler because the 50's
went first.  That is something I would complain to ride management about.
Rule 1.4.7.2 states that "finishing time recorded as the time at which a
passing exam is requested"  It does not say your time is recorded when you
finally get that exam.  It says when you request the exam.  One thing everyone
should do is get familiar with all of the rules but especially the ones that
pertain to you.  When I was sponsoring juniors going for the national
championship, I could practically quote the rules by memory.  Carry a copy in
your camper to each ride to refer to if there is a question.  Don't rely on
your memory.  I always have an up to date copy in my camper.

Sorry this is so long, but I do get carried away......Maryben