Re: Beet pulp questions

In a message dated 98-03-30 10:49:43 EST, Sully@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU writes:

<< Next question, is that he said at the AERC regional conference that
 he feeds beet pulp DRY, and doesn't feel it is at risk for causing
 choke.  But I have to question what happens when it hits the
 foregut.  Doesn't it swell?  Wouldn't it cause a problem with a
 dehydrated horse? >>

The choke risk depends a lot on the individual horse and whether or not he
wolfs his food.

As to the dehydrated horse--ANY feed that requires a lot of hydration in the
gut is taxing to the dehydrated horse and should be fed wet.  The dehydrated
horse already has enough tissues wanting more fluid without adding an
additional demand from the gut.

As to calcium vs. phosphorus--my understanding is that beet pulp is higher in
phosphorus--I imagine Susan will address that question again.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)