Re: Electrolyte question - answer

Those are horses that have "expensive urine"

Teddy  (not fluff..but funny)

CMKSAGEHIL wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-27 15:01:24 EST, wendy@wendy.cnd.hp.com writes:
>
> << I do not feed electrolytes as a part of daily rations.
>   >>

> Wendy is right on here.  Feeding daily electrolytes as part of the ration does
> not allow the horse to "train" his kidneys and sweat glands to become
> efficient in conserving electrolytes.  Electrolytes are kept in balance in the
> body and cannot be stored.  Excesses are eliminated.  In training, the horse's
> body "learns" to be more conservative (sweat becomes more dilute and kidneys
> become more efficient) if the horse is pushed toward depletion and then
> allowed to restock.  Potassium in plentiful in most roughages, and a free-
> choice salt source in the pen at home is sufficient for sodium and chloride.
>
> Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)

begin:          vcard
fn:             Teddy Lancaster
n:              Lancaster;Teddy
org:            RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
email;internet: Teddy@runningbear.com
title:          President
note:           "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want  to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln    "Our government has no character"
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard