Re: Post Child

> I have noticed a great deal of interest since convention in Samm
> Bartee and her bid to go to the Tevis.  So I propose that we elect
> her as the Ridecamp Poster Child.
> Maybe we can get some photos up on the web (hint, hint, Steph and
> Samm).  Afterall, what is a Poster Child without an actual poster?

Funny. I was just thinking about this this morning.

Last year, /richard and I tried to do live web coverage
of Tevis. It was difficult, to say the least.

The logistics are tricky (not many phone links in the high
Sierra). My lasting memory was sitting at Michigan Bluff,
with a laptop (with a failing battery) and a digital camera
(also with a failing) battery, trying to dowload pics
from the camera (so I could take more) as fast as I could -
but because it was so bright, I couldn't see the computer
screen properly and kept losing the cursor.

This year, instead of trying to gather as much information
as possible, I wondered about just doing a "day in the life"
of Samm.

Trying to cover everyone and everything involves hanging
around stranger's camps, trying to pick up tidbits; clutching
an alphabetical list of riders and wishing that I had a
numerical one, so I didn't have to scan the four pages of
names and numbers again to identify who that was who just
rushed past and I took a digital photo of; trying to be
at every vet check (which involves driving what seems
like 200 miles (and probably isn't far off)) after you got
up at 4am to see the start, and need to stay up until past
midnight to see the finishers come in...

Covering just Samm and her fellow riders would definitely
be easier. But then you wouldn't get to hear any of the
other stuff about the other 249 riders.

So which would you rather have? I wish I had two bodies
so I could do both...

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~trouble
http://www.calweb.com/~elsie