small horses again

I know that the subject of "small", that is 14.0-14.2 hh
horses has come up before several times, and there are
quite a few postings in the archives as well as recent
discussions on riders weight in general.

What I have not been able to find is anything relating
to really specific experience with these "classical arabian"
sized horses and their success or failure when burdened
with a rider who could never be confused with a flat-race
jockey.

The reason I am so interested in this, is that last September
I started working with a just-gelded five-year old.  He was
my first experience with any horse less than 10, much less
a horse who had never been backed.  Well, the ostensible plan
was to get him "green-broke" and then sell him.   Yeah.  Right.
Five days a week together for six months.  First a month of
just leading. Then the first time up on his back.  Then a month
of arena work.  Then start trails the first week of December,
in Michigan, in the snow, in the woods, after work and therefore
after dark.  Three more months...

And now we are routinely walking and trotting as much as 3 hours
at a time.

And now it's only 6 weeks to the first 25 we might get to.

And I just found out his 3 yo sister is available.

And I can think of several important practical and otherwise reasons
why 14.0 - 14.2 hh is a very good size.

So the question is this.  I know that as I think Teddy wrote
in one of her posts "there have been some GREAT small horses".
The question is, were they great when they had to carry the weight
of a 140 lb rider with tack.  Or make it more general: were any or
very many great when they carried the 165 lb "standard" minimum
weight (FEI and Tevis if I got it right).  Dom, in particular,
as near as I can measure is about 14.1 hh with a 67 inch heart girth.

Also, I think something worth being more precise about sometimes;
as I see it there are 3 ways to compete in endurance, and a
fourth way if you include CTRs.  In all cases, though, the distances I
am picturing for the long run would be 50 miles and up.

1)  Race.  Your goal is to ride faster than everybody else and pass the
     vet check with a horse "fit to continue".
2)  Best Condition.  Your goal is to ride among the fastest and to
     greatly exceed "passing" at the vet check.
3)  Finish, and/or accumulate miles.  Your goal is to finish the
     ride (probably "slowly") and pass the vet check.
4)  CTR:  Your goal is to ride to a pre-set time (typically neither
      very slow nor very fast, but fast enough to "test" the horse) and
      to greatly exceed "passing" at the vet checks (the CTRs I have
      seen are UMECRA / AHAM / AHAO).

Beleive me, any help will be very greatly appreciated.

Glenn Foster