Ponys and kids

About 25 years ago I went out to find a "small horse" for my 4 yr old, because I had seen so many nasty ponies.  In my search I found no suitable horses but did find a Shetland pony mare of indeterminate age.  When I went to look at her the kids at the place had her cantering around a round pen while they jumped on and off of her back like the circus act they had seen the previous year.  She taught both my boys to ride, went on trail rides, swam rivers etc.  The only time she shied was when a dog jumped out in front of her, and that was less of a shy than a quick stop to prevent tripping over him.  She was quite drafty looking, and I suspect that this meant that she was more like to originals that had been brought here to work the coal mines.  10 years later I sold her to another person to start their 4 yr old.

My point is that one has to evaluate the horse, not just the breed.  Good luck in your search, I hope you find as good a mount as I did.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu Farm
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016