Re: corn question

In a message dated 98-03-20 14:45:02 EST, carlmey@citrus.infi.net writes:

<< Corns on horses are caused by the same things that cause corns in humans
 "ill fitting shoes". >>

Dr. Meyer is absolutely right, but I will go one step farther and say that the
two most common shoeing problems I see associated with corns are:

1)  Shoes a size (or more!) too small.

2)  Shoes not spread enough in the heels.  Too many shoers try to make the
foot look "pretty" at rest, but the fit needs to be for the hoof under load.
When the foot hits the ground, the heels spread to absorb the weight/shock.
Hence, the shoe needs to be a bit wider from the quarters back to "fit"
properly.  Also, the heels tend to spread as the foot grows out.  I like to
see shoes that don't start to "look" the same size as the hoof only if I am
overdue to reshoe the horse!

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)