LSimoni197 <LSimoni197@aol.com>: Fwd: More about my study

From: LSimoni197 <LSimoni197@aol.com>
To: cberto@juno.com
Subject: Fwd: More about my study
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:54:33 EST

Hi Larry!   Thanks for the correct  email address, because I wish to
forward the attached letter to you plus the first one that started the
exchange.  When I read it, many red flags went up in  my  mind   --
giardia?   cryptosporidium?  controlling livestock,  which means
controlling horses?  American River?  all in the same letter?

  Here in the Bay Area, there's something descended from the CA. State
Water Resources Control Board called the 'Council of Bay Area Resource
Conservation Districts.'   It has grant money.  Its latest concern is
"Non-point Source Water Pollution Reduction through Improved Animal Waste
and Resource Management at Equestrian Facilities in the San Francisco Bay
Area."  Right now, this group is aiming at the supposed impact that horse
facilities  have on "water quality problems", i.e., runoff including
nutrients (ammonia, nitrates), salts, pathogenic organisms, suspended
solids, and sediments into water systems.   They contact  stables, etc.
and arrange field trips.  Right now, it's a "voluntary approach" on the
part of horse facilities.   But tomorrow?
   I am currently working with the Marin County Resource Conservation
District to try to defuse this situation and try to bring common sense
and facts to bear on the myths.  I saw a report stating, in part, that
"an average horse generates 51 lb. of manure and 10 lb. of urine each
day."   At  a meeting I attended, I joked that these must be Texas-sized
horses...and I was able to state that my two average horses generate no
more than 60 lb. of manure, TOTAL, daily  (because I had collected and
weighed it!).  A lady responded.  "Oh, we need more horsepeople like you
on this committee..."
   The problem:  (1)  This Bay Area Council is composed of public
servants, darn few if any of whom are equestrians;  (2)  *Suggested*
management practices of today  can easily be the *mandated* management
requirements of tomorrow;  (3)  Trails in watersheds and river areas open
today could be closed tomorrow  because of  mindless, unsubstantiated
fears of horse manure spreading *pathogens*  (giardia, e. coli, crypto,
salmonella, etc.) through our water supply   (4)  When I read of this
lady drawing a bead on the American River, that  bead is potentially
aimed at the Western States Trail Rides, and this, Larry, is why I am
sending this to you and to all trail riders.  Forewarned is forearmed,
and let's gather our statistics and be prepared to rebut any Chicken
Littles with scientifically proven FACTS.
    We should never forget these two questions:  Where are we going to
KEEP our horses, and where are we going to RIDE our horses?  Connie
Berto, Trails Chmn., AERC

--part0_890326473_boundary

--part0_890326473_boundary